Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: TheSpaceBetween

General :
"Sockpuppeting" - I Never Knew

default

KitchenDepth5551 ( member #83934) posted at 9:03 PM on Wednesday, September 30th, 2026

Interesting. I'm saying that I bet he could more easily disguise his troll identity by filtering everything through an AI / LLM before he posted it. It would be easier now to disguise himself to an AI evaluation. I think. I don't know that. I've already admitted that I don't work with LLM/AI. It's an opinion based on my other work.

Edit: Ok, Sorry. My thinking is probably not very clear. I asked my husband and he understands and he does, but he's also a tech person. I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

I agree with what you are saying CantBeMeEither.

I agree. I'm saying that there was less access to technology to disguise the poster and post in 2017. Retroactively, the determination of those posts linguistically being by the same person in 2017 should be different then right now. There is more access to technology now to detect the patterns. Was gemini around in 2017? If so, maybe it could not have detected that post as a troll back then, but it could now. Further, I'm thinking that poster could have disguised their identity better today by using AI/LLM to process their thoughts before posting them. They might not be perceived as a troll if they post a similar idea right now, but they post it through an AI filter which filters the trollness.

Ugh. I still don't think I'm explaining this well. I'm sorry.

[This message edited by KitchenDepth5551 at 1:18 AM, Thursday, October 1st]

posts: 310   ·   registered: Sep. 27th, 2023
id 8906609
default

GotTheMorbs ( member #86894) posted at 1:48 AM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

Thank you guys for cluing me in smile

God I can't wait to get access to the archives... Popping corn for a deep dive

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*
----
I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 459   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8906623
default

 WoodThrush2 (original poster member #85057) posted at 4:02 AM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

If someone were to take part in sockpuppeting...meaning holding two separate identities on a forum...without expressly disclosing to the members, I firmly believe despite the fact that although both account interactions may be worthwhile, in my opinion it still represents someone who is not yet living with full integrity.

Why? Because there is an inherent deception towards the members.

I guess if the two profiles had absolutely no interaction or never even referred to each other, it possibly could be seen as harmless.

But if one profile comments to the other profile, this IMO is manipulative and that person would be well served to learn to be more authentic, even if that mean showing multifaceted side of their personality...but under one identity.

posts: 470   ·   registered: Jul. 29th, 2024   ·   location: New York
id 8906628
default

Pippin ( member #66219) posted at 1:01 PM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

One of the better self help books I've read described good mental health as a willingness to engage in reality (M Scott Peck, The Road Less Travelled, well worth a read if you haven't). That description always stuck with me. It is a much better definition of truthfulness and deception than the one most of us carrying around about lying. For most people, lying is binary. You either are or you aren't. But that doesn't capture the nuances of evading looking at something you should be looking at, allowing someone to think something that they think without correcting them, etc. These lead to poor mental health, for both people involved in avoiding looking squarely at reality.

Under this definition no one is perfectly truthful. We all engage in some form of self-deception, some looking away at something troubling, and we are all also foolish to some extent, not having wisdom. If we look squarely at, for example, the suffering of children, we may feel like we are being truthful in our ability to take in difficult realities, but we are not wise about how our own actions continents away contribute to their suffering. Without that wisdom we are still far from the truth.

Pursuing reality and wisdom is the basis of truth, and someone engaging in sock-puppeting is at the basis of every interaction not engaging in truthfulness, is damaging their own mental health, and is participating in eroding the mental health of everyone they engage with. Even if they pose a question or situation that they think could happen in the real world (but is not) and people give sincere answers - it is not reality, not truth, and is destructive.

It's most destructive to themselves. I have seen the obvious cases of someone coming on like the LtCommander guy but the current case of posting false stories, engaging with whomever will come along (and more often lately with oneself) and then posting another when the engagement dies down, reminds me of a child who bursts into the play of other children, tries to direct it, gets a shot of gleefulness when the other kids go along for a bit, and then tries to console themselves by continuing to play solo after the others drift away.

The beauty of SI is the ability to read deeply into the experience of someone who is in the middle of one of the worst struggles of their life, to see how they describe it, to see how they manage it, and to be able to offer a compassionate ear and your own perspective. None of that is happening when there is lying from the outset. I suppose the best thing from the current rampant case of sock-puppeting is that people dedicated to the truth will have the chance to gain some wisdom. Which we all need.

Him: Shadowfax1

Reconciled for 6 years

Dona nobis pacem

posts: 1209   ·   registered: Sep. 18th, 2018
id 8906642
default

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 1:28 PM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

but the current case of posting false stories, engaging with whomever will come along (and more often lately with oneself) and then posting another when the engagement dies down, reminds me of a child who bursts into the play of other children, tries to direct it, gets a shot of gleefulness when the other kids go along for a bit, and then tries to console themselves by continuing to play solo after the others drift away.

I must have missed something.

WS and BS - Reconciled

Mine 2017
His 2020

posts: 8929   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8906646
default

Pogre ( member #86173) posted at 1:38 PM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

I must have missed something.

There are a handful of stories in JFO written within the last few months. I'm not sure about the self engagement part of it, but the stories themselves smack of some really creative writing for entertainment.

[This message edited by Pogre at 1:39 PM, Thursday, October 1st]

Where am I going... and why am I in this handbasket?

posts: 1044   ·   registered: May. 18th, 2025   ·   location: Arizona
id 8906647
default

hikingout ( member #59504) posted at 2:03 PM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

Ah. Okay. I don’t read in that forum because I can’t respond to threads there.

WS and BS - Reconciled

Mine 2017
His 2020

posts: 8929   ·   registered: Jul. 5th, 2017   ·   location: East coast
id 8906651
default

OhItsYou ( member #84125) posted at 5:57 PM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

Morbs,

Get yourself platinum membership. Makes it easier to read through the older stuff, still wonky by forum standards but it is doable. It’s just a treasure trove of stories and ideas and I’m sure some that will help you.

posts: 575   ·   registered: Nov. 10th, 2023   ·   location: Texas
id 8906659
default

GotTheMorbs ( member #86894) posted at 6:10 PM on Thursday, October 1st, 2026

I did yesterday! I heard sometimes it takes a few days for the premium privileges to kick in though

Far too often in our hasty, mad quest to *Be Loved,* we lose sight of the fact that we are inherently, uniquely, and divinely *Loveable.*
----
I'm not arguing... I'm calibrating

posts: 459   ·   registered: Jan. 5th, 2026   ·   location: USA
id 8906660
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy